Thursday, January 30, 2014

Bang Bang Shrimp Recreated at Home


Bang Bang Shrimp is certainly a favorite of diners at Bonefish Grill and it is something I regularly crave as well.  Being concerned, as most are, that fresh USA Gulf shrimp may soon be difficult to come by, I decided to take advantage of the beautiful 10-15 counts which were available at the supermarket.  The Bang Bang Shrimp dish served in the restaurant is generally small popcorn shrimp lightly coated in corn starch and fried.  I choose to make mine with a heavier batter and panko for my gigantic version. 

I combined 1/2 beer with some corn starch, flour and salt and pepper.  After cleaning and deveining the shrimp I gave them a batter bath and then coated them with panko bread crumbs.  I pan fried the little beauties for about 3 minutes per side or until they were golden brown and crunchy.

Meanwhile, I made the defining sauce for my Bang Bang shrimp by combining mayonnaise, Srirachi hot sauce, sweet hot pepper sauce, and rice wine vinegar in a very large mixing bowl.

As the shrimp came out of the fryer, the were immediately dunked and tossed in the perfectly pink spicy sauce.  Serve them over a bed of cold, crispy shredded iceberg lettuce with a sprinkle of sliced green onions and chopped cilantro and it really is one of the tastiest treasts to tickle (and heat up) your taste buds!   

No comments:

Post a Comment