Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Foccaccia con Olive

I fancied making some bread yesterday, something nice to go with soup at lunchtime.  So a quick flick through my favourite bread book Bread by Eric Treuille & Ursula Ferringno from Dorling Kindersley (great photos!) and I found a recipe for Foccaccia con Olive, my version is a variation on this. 
I didnt have any olives left, but what I did have a tub of Olive Pate which my SIL had brought with her at Christmas.  It was ideal to smear all over the top of the foccaccia.  I also made my dough in the bread maker but cooked it in the oven, best of both worlds in my opinion.

Foccaccia con Olive (Hearth Bread with Olives)
Ingredients
2 tsp easy blend yeast
500g (1lb) strong white flour
1.5tsp salt
75ml (2.5floz) olive oil, plus additional olive oil to finish
75ml (2.5fl oz) dry white wine (I just used more water)
200g (7oz) pitted black olives (or half a tub of olive pate)
2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano

Put all the dry ingredients in the bread machine, add the water and olive oil and set the machine to dough.

When it has finished turn it out onto an oiled baking sheet and press into a round, spread the olive pate onto the dough and leave to rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes.  Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes until golden brown and hollow sounding when tapped underneath.  Sprinkle with additional oil if required.  Cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment