Friday, January 31, 2014

Zucchini Hummous

This is a ridiculously simple and tasty little thing to do with zucchini. I first heard about it 3 years ago when my mother made it, and I declared I would do it myself too, soon. Well, soon is a relative term, I guess. Weve been struggling to getting our zucchini plants to produce, which is a laughable problem given their reputation. However, I managed to round up enough this week to give it a go. It does taste a little lighter than regular hummous, but is otherwise surprisingly similar. Just the thing for a light summer meal.

about 2 cups - 4 servings
20 minutes prep time

Zucchini Hummus

1 medium zucchini (2 cups diced)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup tahini
1 small clove garlic
2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cumin seed, ground
a sprinkle of paprika, a grind of black pepper

Wash and trim the zucchini, and cut it into dice. Put it in a blender or food processor with the remaining ingredients and purée until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides if necessary. Give it a taste and adjust the flavours if you think it needs more of anything. (Less? Sorry; too bad.)

Remove to a serving dish and let rest for 30 minutes or so to allow the flavours to blend. Serve with crackers or crudités. I dont know how well this keeps; the issue has never arisen.

No comments:

Post a Comment