Thursday, February 13, 2014

Gorgonzola Topped Filet Sauteed Mushrooms and Onions with Red Wine Gravy and Lemon Scented Broccoli


I spent the day sewing items for my Etsy Shop, (you can see a preview of my shop on the right side of blog, go take a look, particularly if you like table linens for holidays and special occassions) and when I got home, I was starving.  I did not stop at the grocery store on the way home, so I only considered what I ingredients I already had on hand.  Harkening back to the vegetable pizza from Saturday night, I knew there were still some mushrooms and broccoli remaining in the refrigerator.  As I have said numerous times before, I am not a fan of cooked broccoli when not "hidden" in some other preparation (like pizza), but outweighing my distain for broccoli is my desire not to waste food.  There is no greater waste, as far as I am concerned, then going to the store, spending money on food and then simply throwing it in the garbage because it spoiled before it was eaten.  Utilizing the some common ingredients most have in the pantry/refrigerator on a regular basis, I prepared a healthy, delicious meal  in less than half an hour and it was really easy, oh, and I didnt even mind the broccoli.     

I preheated the oven to 400 degrees and set two saute pans over med heat on the stove.  I seasoned the filet with hickory smoked salt (from my friend Charmanes company S.A.L.T., which you can find in the South Bend Farmers Market), fresh cracked pepper and some garlic powder.  I seared the steak on both sides for 5-6 minutes, topped it with crumbled gorgonzola cheese and placed the saute pan it in the oven.  The cheese melted nicely over the top of the steak and after 5 minutes, I removed it from the oven and placed the filet on a plate to rest.  

Thinly slice 1 container of cremini mushrooms, 1/2 of a sweet onion and mince 1 clove of garlic.  Saute in olive oil over med/high heat for about 10 minutes.  

Meanwhile, making sure not to burn my hand on the hot handle like I have done at least a million time, I proceeded to make a gravy/sauce from the steak pan drippings.  Add 1 teaspoon of flour to the same pan in which the steak was cooked and set back on the stove over medium heat and cook for just a minute.  Add 1/2 cup of water (or beef stock) and bring to a boil stirring constantly to avoid lumps.  Add the mushrooms and onions which were just sauteed directly to the the gravy and add a splash of red wine.  Simmer for a few minutes before serving with the filet.

It goes without saying that I am not an expert cooker of broccoli, but, this turned out to be a really tasty broccoli side dish which I will definately make again.  I cut about 1/4 head of broccoli into florets and par cooked them in a cover bowl in the microwave for 50 seconds.  Just before it was time to eat, I tossed the broccoli in a hot sautee pan with a little olive oil, a sprinkling of hot pepper flakes, the zest of 1/2 lemon and salt and pepper for about 2-3 minutes.  Turn off the heat and squeeze about 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice over the top.  Serve immediately!     

No comments:

Post a Comment